9.14.2007

Fine White Dust 1987 Honor Book *****


Fine White Dust is about Pete's summer after his seventh grade year. This is the summer he meets the Man, who at first he think is an axe murderer. But when he discovers that he is actually a preacher and attends his Revival Meeting, he finds that the Man will change his life. Pete has always felt different from his parents and his best friend Rufus, an atheist. But the Man understands him and helps him become a born again Christian and even asks him to leave everything behind to follow him.

This book grabbed me on the very first page and that's hard to do. I loved the foreshadowing using the fine white dust and the similes the author used throughout the book. I read it in just a few short hours. I wouldn't recommend this book for anyone younger than junior high, but this would be an amazing book to use for a book report or a literary review exercise in high school English.

My fourteen year old-son read this book and he was surprised I liked it as much as I did. He thought I should have only given it two stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment