7.30.2007

Island of the Blue Dolphins 1961 Medal Winner ******


Island of the Blue Dolphins is based on the true story of an American Indian woman named Karana who was found living alone on an island off the coast of California. During an evacuation of her tribe, she jumped ship in order to be with her brother who shortly died thereafter. This book tells how Karana found shelter, clothes, food, companionship and serenity while living alone on the Island of the Blue Dolphins.

I listened to this book on a Playaway read by Tantoo Cardinal and she did an amazing job. Her voice is calm and soothing, exactly how I imagine Karana's voice to sound. This was one of those books that some how stayed under my radar during my childhood years, and all my friends are shocked I had never read it. Now I am too, how did I miss reading what in 1976 was considered in the top 10 books from the last 200 years. While I can't imagine living 18 years in solitude, this book does help me realize that it's possible. This is a definite must read for all children.

No comments:

Post a Comment